I hear our British cousins are experiencing a heatwave, which is really like any other summer day on the golden coast. But not to fret ye cold blooded darlings, this yankee has some tips for you for staying cool:
1) Drink LOTS of water!!! Rehydrate as much as possible--with H20 not gin and scotch--and keep a water bottle with you. Caffein and alcohol work to dehydrate you. And as much as the mixture of alcohol and sun makes you think of little umbrellas and sandy beaches, it can be a dangerous combination, leading to heat stroke and other heat related illnesses. If you feel weak or dizzy, or your lips and mouth feel dry, start chugging the H20; but of course it's better if you just consistently drink water throughout the day. And though you're not accustomed to it, ice in the beverages really helps ;)
2) Okay, the first tip was probably common sense, but here's a tip that may be foreign to you particular darlings: WEAR SPF!!! I know you're fair precious skin is probably dying for a chance for some natural tanning, but there's tanning and then there's roasting. And in case you suffer any burns, get some aloe vera. In general, aloe vera feels nice and cool on the skin.
3) Eat smaller meals. Large meals will make you feel hotter and probably more sleepy. And heavy protein meals create metabolic heat production.
4) Stock up on fresh fruit and veggies to either chow on or make smoothies with.
5) Don't wear black. Wearing loose fitting, light colored, cotton clothing. It's really not fun to feel your clothes stick to you in the heat.
6) Apparently spicy foods do the trick, too. They cause you to sweat which causes your body to cool down. But if you're not a spicy foods person, perhaps opt for chrysanthemum tea which is apparently a cooling herb.
7) SMILE--82 degree (27 C) high today, and going up to 88 degrees (31 C) on Monday and Tuesday in London!!!
Ta ta for now!
BIG LOVE & HUGS